A Fun and Comprehensive Overview of Classical Guitar Playing
By Martha Masters
The Total Guitarist
Classical Guitar Method or Supplement
Book & CD
Early Elementary/Late Intermediate
The Total Classical Guitarist teaches the essentials of classical guitar from beginning levels to late intermediate. This exciting method features in-depth lessons on right- and left-hand technique, posture, ornaments and slurs, performance aesthetics, fingernail care, and much more. Intended for those with some experience playing guitar (not the absolute beginner), this book will appeal to traditional classical guitarists and teachers---as it features examples written in standard music notation only (no TAB). A CD demonstrating all of the examples in the book is included.
* Practical, easy-to-understand lessons in technique and posture
* In-depth discussion of fingernails, including shape and maintenance
* Comprehensive instruction on performing slurs and ornaments
* Special techniques such as pizzicato, Bartók pizzicato, natural harmonics, artificial harmonics, tamboura, and tremolo
* Musical considerations like dynamics, colors, articulations, rubato, and vibrato
* Practicing strategies, including notes for crossover players and making the most of your practice time
About the Author
Martha Masters is an award-winning performer, recording artist, and educator. She received both her bachelor and master of music degrees from The Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University, where she studied with Manuel Barrueco, and completed the doctor of musical arts degree at the University of Southern California as a student of Scott Tennant. Masters has won first prize in the Guitar Foundation of America (GFA) International Solo Competition and the Andrés Segovia International Guitar Competition in Linares, Spain. In addition to being a faculty member at Loyola Marymount University, Masters is also president of the Guitar Foundation of America and has released five recordings on the Naxos and GSP labels.